Thursday, September 9, 2010

Yesterday was a pretty good day, it was a holiday-labor Day and it seemed that Miss Cathy and I were busier than usual so the irony of the day and our labors was no lost on me. While I was out buying a new sofa mom was at the apartment shampooing the carpet. She managed to clean the hallway before the machine started to “act up” and she stopped but I was surprised at how much cleaning she did.

I worked in my room on some new artwork for a few hours then came out to the living room to hang out with Miss Cathy for awhile. I decided to iron the new silk drapes that I’d bought in KC with Chad’s discount at Restoration Hardware while we chatted. Not to be outdone, mom brought in some mending she needed to do. So there we were, her sewing and me ironing. After I was finished ironing I swapped out the old drapes for the new ones above the balcony sliding glass doors.

Miss Cathy didn’t say much about the drapes, later when I was talking to Chad about the changes he asked what she thought and I couldn’t give him an answer. But, at the end of the evening when I went in to give her meds she made a point of telling that she thinks the drapes are “gorgeous” and that she “really loves them!” Her approval made me happy and we chatted for a little but I was trying to be conscious of not getting her too wound up-very much like with a little kid at bedtime, you don’t want to get them too stimulated or they’ll have a hard time going to sleep, if at all. Sure enough the talking was giving her a second wind so when I told her I was leaving to take a shower she said, “I want to take shower, too.” Oh boy, it’s going to be hard putting baby down now! Nighttime is suppose to be my time-the deal is (in my mind) that after I give her meds at night I’m off duty and she was messing with my system.

So, I swallowed my resentment and helped her with her shower first then had my own, but I knew my solitude was not to be for awhile. She came into the kitchen after me and asked for a chicken salad sandwich after she saw that I was eating chicken. “Sure” I said, “I can make you some.” We chatted little while I made her sandwich, she ate half and then said,”Okay, you’re rid of me now, I’m going to bed, you won’t have to worry about me anymore tonight.”

1 comment: