Sunday, September 5, 2010

What can I tell you, the routines seem to be set now so the days are starting to blur. Except for the occasional doctor’s visit (like yesterday morning) there isn’t much variation in our day.

The reality is that Miss Cathy is more and more like here old self-whether that’s a good thing is debatable.

Dr Joly, her orthopedic surgeon met with us yesterday (after keeping us in the waiting room for an hour) to check Miss Cathy’s’ progress with her let knee replacement. He said that what she was “feeling’ was the best indicator of her progress and nothing else. When I asked about the things that I thought she was doing wrong or “her way” he didn’t see anything wrong with her behavior and supported her. She still wants help in/out of the shower, the doctor said that it’s okay for her to use any means or method she fells necessary until she feels confident enough to walk on her own and confident in her balance.

So, it seems that the doctor vindicated her yesterday, it wasn’t what I wanted to hear but hey-I can dish it out so I gotta be able to take it. Now l just have to back off correcting her and let her do whatever she feels works for her while she heals. And I’ve got to “take it on the chin” now she feels vindicated by doing things her way and listen to her saying, “See, I know my body” “The doctor’s don’t always know” “They have to follow certain things but I’m 72 years old and I don’t need anybody telling me what I need to do”. Which is kind of a contradiction because it was the doctor’s supportive statements that she was looking for to validate her behavior-but, that’s just between you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment