Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Well Hung

The other day I hung new silk drapes throughout the apartment. I’d already hung two panels in the living room a couple weeks ago (I was that anxious to start taking down the very old and very ugly drapes that had sadly hung past their prime).

Not to be outdone, Miss Cathy announced that she had a “project”, too. While I was taking down curtains, valances and hardware that weren’t that chic in the 80’s (when they first went up) she was taking all of the pictures off of the étagère to clean them and dust the shelves. She pulled out “Roger”-that’s the name she gave to the Roll-later (a four wheeled contraption that she can use for balance when she’s walking and can also sit on when she’s tired). She’s had it since her first stint in rehab in January. She has a habit of naming things-animate or otherwise, a floral arrangement she received in the hospital after her knee replacement surgery was introduced to anyone who came into the room as “Oscar”. I won’t begin to tell you the names she had for the hundred or so stuffed teddy bears, lions, birds, dolls and sundry animals that used to dominate the living room. She may not remember where she put the mailbox key but you can bank on her remembering each and every name she’s bestowed on something!

So, we worked side by side in harmony for the most part. Peace was guaranteed because I kept refusing her offer to help. We had a surprise visitor about an hour into our work. Mary Rose, Miss Cathy’s cousin or my cousin (hell, at my age I just accept that someone is a “relative” and call it a day) Anyway, Mary Rose has been visiting mom for a few years now. She’ll stop by and chat with Miss Cathy for hours, and mom always loves her company so I was happy she made a “drive-by”.

With mom gleefully engaged with Mary Rose gossiping about family, I went about cleaning windows and windowsills, folding up the old curtains to donate to Goodwill (Miss Cathy’s idea-personally I think they would be better out of their misery in a land-fill). By early evening the windows were dressed in some of the finest silk that Chad’s employee discount could buy at the high-end store he works in part-time.

After Mary Rose left Miss Cathy took several breaks but sat on “Roger” and dusted away till she finished her “project”. All in all, a very good day!






No comments:

Post a Comment