Tuesday, September 14, 2010

I was early this morning because Miss Cathy was up early. Today is voting day and she wanted me to take her. I’m realizing that she gets very wound up the night before she has an appointment to do anything. So, she was up/down a lot last night which kinda interrupted my “down time” because I was very aware of her presence and even though she didn’t ask for anything I was “on alert” that she might, so I wasn’t really relaxed.

I committed to taking her at 9am so I was sure to be ready on time because she had her hat on and was ready to go at 8am. We had abit of a debate back and forth as to whether she needed her voter registration card and it turns out she was right and she didn’t’ need it. At the poling station the people couldn’t have been nicer to us-Miss Cathy especially. A volunteer walked us down a ramp so mom wouldn’t have to traverse stairs and then Margaret, Miss Cathy’s friend from the complex was working there and she helped guide her through the process. I sat on a chair and waited for her and I could see that the electronic voting was a challenge for her but Margaret helped her and even though it took her a little longer than others she cast her vote and on the way out she said, “Well, just like the old folks say-I got that did!”

She was very happy that she’d voted, after all these years she takes the right to vote very seriously, as do I and I could she that she felt a great sense of accomplishment by completing the act. Maybe now she can relax and take a nap.

2 comments:

  1. "i got that did".....love it! couldn't find a damn thing on 'blook and a snag' though. does your mom ever say "I might could..." like "I might could go into town today". that's southern, i think. Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, No she doesn't say that but she will slip into North Carolina "speak" and say "I'm fixin"" to.... meaning "I'm planning to" or "I'm about to". Ty

    ReplyDelete