Monday, September 27, 2010

Stop rushing me!

“Stop rushing me!” she said.

Miss Cathy has a doctor’s appointment this morning, just checking in with Dr Granite after being off the Adavan for almost a month (personally I think she should have stayed on it, but hey, I'm keeping my opinion to myself lest someone think I'm trying to keep the old lady doped up) She’s usually up and ready to go (anywhere) at the crack of dawn but this morning she was still in bed when I got up a little before 8am. I had to remind her that we had to leave at 8:50am for a 9:15am appointment.

While she was still in her room getting ready I commented that it’s not like her to linger in bed and she said that she didn’t “sleep worth a shit”, that she had dreams all night. “You know what they say about people that dream a lot”, she asked. “No, what do they say?", I asked.

“People that dream a lot are usually depressed.” “Are you depressed?” I asked surprised by the statement.

“I’ve been depressed all my life. My whole life has been depressing, my childhood was depressing.”

Wow! This was news to me. I thought she was “Miss happy-go-lucky, never looks back". I continued to get ready to leave, making a “coffee to go” while she futzed in the living room. She told me that she wanted to go to the bank to get $40.00 so she could stop by the drug store to get the Nasonex that the doctor called in for her weeks ago. I told her that it was probably already sent back because she refused to pick it up originally (too expensive) and they’d already called to say that it would be returned.

“Ahh, they don’t always send it back.” She said. “Oh really”, I muttered under my breath, “I guess you know everything.”

When I came out of he kitchen to go to the car she shouted, “Stop rushing me!”

“What?” I said, startled. “You’re always rushing me, running around!”she said, quite agitated.

In a flash, I was pissed. “I wasn’t talking to you old woman. I’m just getting ready to go outside. All I did was remind you ONCE that you had an appointment; you can sit here all day for all I care. I didn’t say anything else to you about it.” Fed up, I was getting wound up now, “AND I don’t appreciate your talking to me like I’m a four year old AND screaming at me.”

“Oh,” she said sheepishly, “ well, I didn’t mean too, I’m sorry if I screamed at you.”

“I appreciate the apology.” (I didn't really but it was an autotmatic response) And with that I was gone, outside to sit in the car and wonder what the hell just happened.

Update 10:00am: We’re sitting with Dr Granite and she just asked for some free samples of the Nasonex. She told him that she knew the prescription was at the drug store but she wasn’t sure if they sent it back or not. OMG!

2 comments:

  1. This is so moving, Ty. You have to watch a few episodes of Friday Night Lights. You can watch via Netflix. One of the main characters is a high school student "being raised by" his grandmother, who is not unlike your Miss Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks gm79, other have mentioned "Friday Night Lights" to me so I should check it out. I'm touched that the post moved you to write-thanks again, it really helps me to know that I'm not just "writing in the dark".

    ReplyDelete