Sunday, October 24, 2010

Wegmans

At 7:08am on Sunday morning I was sitting in my car waiting for Miss Cathy so we could go to the grand opening of………wait for it………a grocery store!

I guess there are worse things in life but I couldn’t think of any at that moment. Color me “cranky” but I just don’t think getting up at the crack of dawn to be knee deep in fat-assed suburbanites snacking on “free” cheese and cracker samples is my idea of a good time.

Oh well, I’m the one who asked Miss Cathy on Saturday morning what she wanted to do or where she wanted to go this weekend (careful what you ask….) It was only about a 15 minute drive so I wouldn’t be so bad, I brought some coffee, my journal and a book in case I wanted to just sit outside somewhere and let mom experience the “grandness” of the “opening” by herself.

We get there and sure enough it’s quite the spectacular event, it’s as if Barman and Bailey were in town and these people had never seen a clown or an elephant before. I mean there were police directing traffic (miles before you even got to the joint) and once there I had to drop mom off at the front so that I could find a parking spot that hopefully I wouldn’t need breadcrumbs to be able to locate later.

The store was nice enough but nothing special, think “Costco” meets “Trader Joes”. The employees were bright and shiny, ready to help and put all their training to good use. The aisles were so crowded with grocery carts going this way and that, it seemed to me they could have used a few of those cops inside to direct the traffic to keep things moving.

I caught up to Miss Cathy soon after entering the store (remember, fast she’s not) but I did lose her for awhile when she went to see what all the fuss was over by the broccoli and I went to customer service for our “welcome bag”. I found her an hour later still shopping but she was ready to check out soon after. I did wonder if it got to be a little too crowded and chaotic for her.

As we were driving away mom mentioned that she knew a different way to get home from the Mapquest directions I’d used to get us there. I said that I could go home “her way” and made sure to ask if she was “sure” of her directions and that she wouldn’t get confused.

“No” she said, “I know the way, turn right a the light.” And so I did and so we drove. Since Miss Cathy likes to maintain a running commentary whenever we’re in the car she was sure to let me know when we were driving “pretty close” to where "such and such” lived or where the courthouse she had jury duty was or when we were driving past where she and pop were thinking of moving to thirty years ago, on and on it went for about 40 minutes when she said,” I think we’re suppose to be going north and not south, I’m not sure, maybe you can use your “Mapquest.”

I pulled into a service station that was closed, and used the Google maps on my IPhone to point us in the right direction. We turned around, 44 miles and 1/2 hour later we were home.

No comments:

Post a Comment