Friday, September 20, 2013

The Group: Pt. lll



Through Alz.org I found a list of support groups for caregivers in my area.

Thank God there’s a ‘support group’ for practically everything these days-even issues other than addiction (thank God for those, too).

We live in an age where if there’s “an app for that” (shopping, knowledge, games, fun, food or even sex) it’s comforting to know there’s a place where people with similar interests can gather in kind, “in the real world”.

I’m not a ‘people person’ by nature and even though my work life and career has put me in front of classrooms, crowds, on television and in front of lecterns, in my private life I am basically a loner and a little shy.

I do not seek out groups nor enjoy being part of a crowd.

I’m the type of guy who goes to matinees during the week to watch films when there’s the best chance of the theater being empty and I will get up and move to the farthest dark corner if too many people start to gather and sit near me (especially if there are plenty of seats elsewhere).

For some reason (which I find hard to fathom) people tend to clump together. I never understood this sort of behavior, nor is it my inclination.

I don’t know what that is, maybe it’s some sort of primal, instinctual ‘pack” mentality (that I obviously lack) that draws people toward one another in public spaces (a need to bond? for warmth? to feel safe?).

I do know that I generate enough heat to warm myself (too much in fact) and I’m a big enough guy that people might cross the street when they see me coming toward them on a dark night so I don’t need protecting.

Whatever leaning toward social ‘gathering’ I lack to be ‘up close and personal’ with folks, I am, at my most base level, a survivor so I have no problem seeking out my fellow man and/or woman when I’m in need of help.

As I’ve stumbled through life, with it’s many highs and lows, successes and challenges, I’ve learned that there are times when it’s better not to ‘go it alone’ and that asking for help is a sign of strength and not weakness.   

It was to be my first meeting but I’m no stranger to support groups.

No, this was not my first time at the rodeo.

But, whatever other ‘groups’ I’ve attended are for another blog at another time.

Like the prayer that ends many a 12-step group meeting says, “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference”.

It’s with this in mind that I set out for my first “Caregiver” support group meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment